Friday, May 25, 2007

Drinking Czech beer in Brussels

Once a year Czech ambassador organises big reception (some kind of garden party) in his own garden. Our office was invited. Renatka decided to go with her Czech friends and she asked me, if I want to join them. Casual clothes was required. As I was wearing jeans, she sent me home to change my clothes. I was not really sure what should I wear, but at least, I could take a shower :-))

After more then one month I was drinking Pilsen, eating utopenec, nakladany hermelin and moravske kolace - all Czech specialities. One could even had gulas and different types of klobasa. Different types of alcohol were served, such as slivovica, hruskovica and of course, Becherovka. I had two shots, more than enough :-))

I have to admit that even if I was really looking forward to this kind of events, I do not feel very comfortable there. Firstly, usually I am one of the youngest (this is quite positive :-)) and the less experienced and with the lowest number of contacts. It is always the same type of conversation - hello, where do you work (even the range of answers is quite limited: Commission, Permanent representation or Parliament), till when you are staying, how do you like it here etc. And after some time I just do not know what else should I talk about (if we do not find any common interest). Probably, I am just missing practice in this kind of superficial conversation.

On the other hand, I can apply what I learned during my classes of diplomatic protocol. Now I see that it was quite useful :-)) It is also interesting to observe people while talking to each other. According to their body language and the way they look at each other it could be in some cases deducted what they feel :-))

The whole event ended around 10 p.m. Too early to go home :-)) Group of ten, we decided to go to Cafe Belga. Later some of us went to Guru bar and the rest left home. I preferred to go home. Even if it was weird, I did not feel like dancing.

No comments: